Vision is a powerful word in the church world. Pastors love to talk about it.
But here’s a secret.
People don’t want to hear about the vision of your church, they want to hear about themselves.
That’s right. People love to talk about themselves. Their dreams, their accomplishments, their problems. And they like to listen to messages that address those things.
So while the three year plan of your church might be interesting to you, people might not care about it if they don’t see themselves IN it. While your vision statement and core values might be carefully worded, people might not truly care if it doesn’t intersect with their lives.
- Parents might be excited the children’s ministry plans to reach all the unchurched elementary children in the public school system, but they are thrilled when you help their little Sarah.
- Donors might be proud of the renovations that will add 100 seats to the auditorium, but they would probably love to hear about how they don’t have to park on the muddy field.
- It’s cool for people to know it takes 100 volunteers to pull of a Sunday morning experience, but help people discover their gifts and develop their talents, and they will get off the bench.
- People might think it’s great to launch another campus, but when they realize they won’t have to drive as far or it will be easier to invite their friends, it changes the game.
Maybe it shouldn’t be like this. Maybe people should intrinsicly care more about the local church. But search your heart and consider reality, and you’ll agree.
Now that’s the bad news.
The good news is once you understand this, you can adapt your approach and truly connect with people.
You don’t have to compromise your vision or water down the mission to engage people. You just have to intentionally connect them. You have to show them how getting involved BENEFITS them. You have to demonstrate you care about their life, not just your church
So instead of talking about features, describe the benefits. Features are about YOUR product or program…benefits are about THEM.
- We have 100 children on Sunday morning.
- This will be the best summer camp ever.
- Here are the details of this amazing new program.
- We have three campuses.
- This will help you follow Jesus.
- This will help you become a leader.
- This will help you lead your family.
- Three campuses means it’s closer to where you live.
You’re talking about the SAME THING, but you’re doing it in a way that will connect with them.