Here are a few stats from the Google Benchmark Newsletter, which is based on data from hundreds of thousands of websites…
- The average user spends 5:23 on a website.
- Russian citizens spend the most amount of time on a site.
- 37% of visits are direct, 20% are referrals, and 28% come from search engines.
- Visits that come from a referral have a lower bounce rate.
- 84% of websites are accessed on a Windows machine.
These are some interesting statistics, and provide a great baseline for tracking stats on your website. As I read through this report, here are a few things that jumped out.
- Your website must clearly communicate your mission, purpose and core product in just a few minutes.
- You should have a memorable domain (best for direct traffic), figure out how to optimize for search engines, and make it easy for people to use social media to spread your message. All three of these matter.
- Windows still owns the world, and it’s amazing how profitable Apple can be with just a 5% market share.