You don’t have work at making things more confusing. Stuff gets harder than it needs to be over time. But you do have to work to keep things simple and clear. Here’s a few tips:
1. Don’t put on two pages what can fit on one page.
2. Don’t create a five step process, when a three-step process will suffice.
3. Intentionally remove as many steps as you can.
4. Don’t have six people in the meeting when all you need is a four.
5. Don’t have a meeting when all you need is a conversation.
6. Don’t CC people on an email if they don’t really need to know.
7. If it can’t be explained on twitter, it’s probably too confusing.
9. If it doesn’t make sense to someone brand new, then it’s too confusing.
10. If it doesn’t make sense to a teenager, then it’s probably too confusing.
11. If you have to click on three different links to get there, it’s too hard to find.